Monday, October 05, 2015

[I Hope This Isn't a Preview of 32....]

Today has been a doozy. Oh, yeah, hi. It's been awhile. And yes, I did find a job, finally, though I do still hope to find something in my field that pays a little better, but I like my coworkers, and I seem to be pretty good at it most days, so we'll take it one day at a time.

But yeah, today. Now, before I list the events of the past 24 hours, keep in mind that I'm not saying I had a worse day than you or some of my friends--I know for a fact that a couple of my friends have had days that only my worst ever can compare to being. One friend told me she'd miscarried, and another announced she'd lost her best friend quite suddenly. My heart aches for both of them.

So, hugs all around.

That, however, hasn't meant that today was any less frustrating than it was. "Bad Day Comparing" is a bad habit. I still had a Murphy's Law day, and how.

First off, about 24 hours ago, the frustrations began mildly. I tried to upgrade my Office 365 2013 to 2016, and it didn't seem to be working. I couldn't find it anywhere, despite the computer's claim that it had been successfully installed. It's only within the past half hour that I realized it's a glitch--Office is there, it's just apparently invisible to the Start menu and Cortana. Oy. But it's there, so *whew*.

While this was going on, I opened my mail and discovered a letter from my dental insurance group who claimed that, since they'd never received the proof they requested that I needed my tooth filled last December, they'd decided not to pay my bill. Of course, this is at 6-6:30 at night on Sunday, so forget calling my dentist or the insurance until after work today. Lots of anger at the end of a migrainy day. Good times.

Then I got hooked into taking a phone survey about my auto insurance. I was feeling a bit peeved about how they'd jacked up my rates for no reason, so I thought it might be good to give my input. Unfortunately, I'd taken my allergy meds and was getting sleepy and ready for bed (I get up insanely early for work these days), and it took over 30 minutes. Keep this survey in mind, though, in a few minutes...

Then, this morning, two of our data entry people were absent (both with very good reasons, by the way), so there was a lot packed into a short time period. Additionally, I did two weeks in a row of overtime last week (I really need the money, and apparently more than I realized at the time, because I need it even more now that the day has progressed and some of the later events have unfolded that you're about to read about) and the week before, and apparently I was more tired than I realized on Friday, because I'd made some stupid errors that I don't usually make with my accounts, and now I get to check in with the auditor for that account before starting to make sure I've sorted them correctly, despite doing so for the past 2-and-a-half months (except, apparently, Friday), for the next couple of weeks until I can prove that, yes, I do know which invoices go in which account. I felt stupid and embarrassed.

After work, I decided to take my letter to the dentist's office to get it sorted out. As I pulled into a spot, I put on my brakes, put the car in park, and as I let my foot off the brake... my car kept rolling! I slammed on the brakes before I'd run into the person in front of me, turned off my car.... and it wouldn't turn back on. It also wouldn't shift out of Park. So, I got to wait for an hour while I called my parents and my insurance, taking advantage of roadside assistance on my account, and I'm now driving a rental that should be fun, since it's a JEEP!!!!, but the windows and locks are all manual. It's like driving my 1989 Jeep Comanche. A worthy car, but definitely missing some key bells and whistles that are usually standard these days. Funny, though, that just last night I was saying that I'd never made use of my insurance in the phone survey...

By the time I got home, I'd been gone for almost 13 hours. Poor Sassy had to pee like nobody's business, but she had a hard time stopping from kissing me and rubbing against my legs long enough to go outside and pee.

Oh, and my 32nd birthday is Friday... what a birthday week, eh?

No comments: