Friday, June 03, 2011

[Productive, Insane Break]

This spring, I only have a two week break between semesters (I'm used to three), so it's been a two weeks filled with double-time get-everything-home-and-non-work-related-accomplished-while-I-can madness.  Since submitting grades just under two weeks ago, I:

  • Emptied my home office/library
  • Moved one of my bookcases to my bedroom (note: except for putting up the trim that I painted around the ceiling and Dad installing my ceiling fan, this was all solo work)
  • Painted the light beige office walls a warm, buttery, bright yellow
  • Painted the beige trim white
  • Moved the remaining bookshelves back into the room and reorganized my entire book and movie collection
  • Moved my antique desk from my living room (where it's been for months) back to my office since Dad installed a grounded electrical outlet where I could actually utilize it instead of along a short wall that had no room for my desk
  • Reorganized my living room
  • Weeded my flower garden
  • Painted my old bulletin board in two new colors (dark teal and my kitchen's green to ease the transition with the rest of my house's colors
  • Painted my front door and screen door that same dark teal (Mom's not too fond, but is she ever?)
  • Visited my parents for five days around Memorial Day and while there,
  • Shot a pistol for the first time and qualified for conceal-carry (see the previous entry for my surprising success--I'm good at something that requires coordination for once!)
  • Mutilated my thumb when it slipped under the gun's hammer during my last few rounds; it bled furiously and still hurts like the dickens whenever I use my left hand, which I do for almost everything but eating, writing, and throwing objects, as I was born a lefty but raised to be a righty
  • Brushed Sassy every day of break, as she's blowing her winter coat, and managed to fill four or five plastic grocery bags with her loose fur
  • Nursed Sassy back to health (at the parents' and at home the next day) when Sassy overdid it at the lake and strained her tail muscle (seriously); she wouldn't wag it for anything, and it flopped straight down for three days. She's back to normal now, though, so it's all good.
  • Took Sassy to the lake twice and worked with her on "lay down" before throwing the ball every time--a much bigger challenge than on land, because she's very, very water-retrieval obsessed
I still have some odds and ends from the office I need to either store or organize, but I'm taking my time with them. Needless to say, I'm wiped out (hence my blog silence lately) and in no mood for what transpired last night: my air conditioner letting me know it's on its last legs. Yup, with a week of highs in the low-to-mid-90's in the forecast, I came into my dining room to see that, despite my AC being set on 70 (to accommodate the rising level of body heat due to all the physical work I'd been doing in the house that day) for four hours, it had never gotten cooler than 73. Air was coming out, but it was only cool, not cold, like normal. It's working today, after I turned it off, but it's doing weird things like turning itself off when I turn the thermostat down two degrees instead of blowing longer. It comes back on a few minutes later, but hey, the signs are there.

And I really can't afford this.  But, we knew it was coming eventually--it's an older unit, at least 15 years old, so it was only a matter of time. Still, we'd hoped it would hold on one more year.

So, friends, I really would love some feedback on the Freelance Niki post two posts ago. I need to start bringing in a few extra dollars each week to keep my head above the water while my classes are cut back.  Drop me a comment on that, please!  Thank you!

Alright... the stomach tells me it needs food, stat, so I'm off for now. Stay cool!

No comments: